Butter has a bit of a bad reputation in the nutrition world. While it’s true that lots of its saturated fat isn’t good for your heart, using butter sparingly means you can still make delicious meals that will help you get lean. Why not start with this recipe for citrus chicken with garlic butter mushrooms? For more recipes, look out for John Thompson’s upcoming ebook, To A Leaner Physique.
Prep Time: 20 minutes
3 chicken breasts
2 carrots, sliced
1 onion, sliced
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 c. orange juice
2 tbsp. fresh lemon juice
1/2 tsp ground cumin
1/2 c. green olives, pitted
1 tbsp. chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
1/4 cup butter
4 cloves garlic, minced
16oz mushrooms washed then patted dry
Citrus Chicken Cooking Instructions
- Season chicken with salt and pepper
- Over medium-high heat, cook 4 chicken thighs in
- cooking spray, 6 minutes on each side or until cooked through. Remove chicken; wipe pan clean. Repeat with more cooking spray and 4 chicken thighs. Reserve 1 Tbsp. drippings.
- Reduce heat to medium; add carrots, and cook, stirring occasionally, 2 minutes. Add onions, and cook, stirring occasionally, 5 to 7 minutes or until tender. Add garlic, and cook, stirring occasionally, 1 minute. Stir in orange juice, lemon juice, and cumin. Increase heat to high, and bring to a boil.
- Add chicken and olives. Reduce heat to medium-low; cover and simmer 35 to 40 minutes or until meat is tender. Just before serving, stir in parsley.
Garlic Butter Mushrooms
- Add butter and garlic to a small dish then microwave until melted, 30 seconds. Trim ends off mushrooms and place cap side down in a baking dish.
- Drizzle each cap with garlic butter, then season tops with salt and pepper.
- Roast for 25-30 minutes, or until tender, basting mushrooms with butter in the bottom of the skillet halfway through.
This recipe was created by John Thompson.